Holiday Gifts for Your Host and Hostess
Last week, we talked about hosting a holiday party and creating personal and creative takeaways for your guests - and we used the cocktails that you served as the inspiration. Mandy Landefeld of Sumptuous Living created those yummy cocktails. This week, we take those cocktails and turn them into beautiful and appreciated hostess gifts.
As the guest, you can still provide a dose of hospitality.
For the workshops that Mandy and I did for Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles, we worked with Coppola Vineyards and their Sofia Brut Rose and Blanc de Blancs, as well as Tito's Vodka and Four Roses Bourbon. Fun partners!
The cans (yes, cans!) of bubbles come four to a box, and each comes with its own straw. They are adorable and as Mandy explained, these cans are great to have in your bar when you don't want to open a full bottle.
As you can see here, the Sofia boxes have holes all around them (think bubbles), and so in the image above, I took the cans out, threaded the ribbon through, put the cans back in and took an already wonderful hostess gift into something special and beautiful.
If you didn't see last week's post, we had three cocktails. You can sign up to get the recipes here.
When you think about your hostess gift, think about three things:
- Will it make the host/hostess feel special? Is it personal?
- If you've taken the time to do more than a bottle of something,is it unified with either color or theme?
- Is there a creative, fun factor?
BUBBLES & BOWS COCKTAIL
To keep it simple, you could take the box of Sofia above and tie the recipe onto the ribbon. Or . . . . .
. . . . . . . you could take it up a (several) notches.
The basket above is a great example of both theme and color. Color simply helps it make sense in the receiver's mind. The game day/school spirit gift above is obviously for the Alabama fan, but only two things REALLY say University of Alabama. (for those of you don't follow or care about the SEC, they are: 1) the game day purse with the logo and 2) the ribbon - houndstooth is practically an official color at this school.)
So, here's what we've got above - they link to the shops where I found them.
- Eat Pretty Book (color theme)
- Game Day clear crossbody (Alabama theme and color)
- Two cans of Sofia Blanc de Blancs (cocktail and color themes)
- Flask (color) with Tito's already in it! (color and cocktail themes)
- Rosemary Simple Syrup with cute lid (cocktail and color themes)
- Blessing Beads (color theme)
- Cheers spreader (color theme)
- Bow (Alabama theme)
- Recipe (cocktail theme)
- Chicken Wire Basket (lined it with cotton balls as I couldn't find any of that display snow)
Look at these gifts and think how you can deconstruct them. For instance, in the basket above, you could easily take the flask and fill it with something fun and that's the gift. Or, take three of these items rather than the entire thing.
HUNT & GATHER BOURBON COCKTAIL
One of the easiest things to do if it is a gift for a man is to get a bottle of bourbon and throw a tie on it, or even better, a bow tie. Loosely wrap it around the neck of the bottle - it's the way he will look the next morning!
Or . . . you can take it way up. It would work well year-round, but especially in the fall and winter or at a mountain or lake house.
In the bourbon/lakehouse basket:
- The recipe for the Hunt & Gather Cocktail
- A bottle of Four Roses Small Batch (I liked the shape and the way it sat in the basket)
- Two cans of Sofia Brut Rose
- A fantastic whiskey book
- A bottle of Walnut Bitters (regular bitters pictured here)
- A bottle of the Ginger Simple Syrup
- A rocks glass (filled with walnuts, as the recipe calls for walnut Bitters)
- Coasters made of bark
- Wooden snowflake confetti
- A plaid scarf to line the basket
CANDY CANE MARTINI
For the Candy Cane Martini, we could have easily brought a bottle of Tito's with the recipe tied onto the neck. But, we found this cute house by the new Chip and Joanna Gaines line at Target, and just had to use it. So, included is:
- The house/lantern (holiday theme)
- Tito's (cocktail theme)
- Bottle of the white chocolate liqueur (cocktail theme)
- Bag of peppermint crunch (cocktail theme)
- Filled the bottom with the confetti snow and cranberries
The Candy Cane Martini is a dessert drink, and during the holidays that makes me think about warm, cozy, white. So below is the ultimate hostess gift, but can you imagine having a wintery night when you pour yourself this cocktail, snuggle under the throw, and simply have a luxurious evening to yourself? Do not miss checking out those cuffs on the handles!
- Basket with handles (this thing was heavy!)
- Cashmere throw (all the shops had a version of this)
- White Christmas Belgian Hot Chocolate Mix
- Lafco Candle - White Snowdrop
- Vintage Match Bottle
- Tito's (part of the recipe)
- Sofia (not part of the recipe, but so pretty)
- Two champagne glasses
- A Leopard print furry sleep mask
- A frame with a poem or a thank you to your friend
- A subscription to Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles (or your favorite magazine or a book)
- Cute pair of reading glasses
- Dream Dust
- White fur cuffs - these actually can be worn with anything -see the Instagram photo here - so fun!
Take just ONE of these items and thrown then with your bottle of Sofia and you are set. I want to create this basket just for me.
I think you do this if you are a guest for a week - and you have your own guest house and butler.
Happy Holidays and Happy Hostessing!